Sunday, October 28, 2012

Les deux châteaux

Saturday, October 13 Doc H. took us to two of the most well known castles in France. First we visited Fontainbleau--which was once owned by one of the Napoleons. There's about a million and I always get them confused. That place was like Baroque on Speed, Coke, and Acid all at the same time. It was like a thousand home decorators all went in a the same time, placed things EVERYWHERE, worked for about 10 years straight--without break, and nothing that another artist placed was allowed to be moved. The walls and ceilings were covered in paintings and elaborate decorations. The floors, rugs, beds, and other furniture all matched and seemed to blend into each other. Nothing was left untouched or empty. Definitely took the idea of "l'horreur de vide" literally. There were things I loved about this idea and this decoration, but most of it was even too much for me. I honestly can't image living in a place like that. I guess the Lord was right when he said "all things in moderation".

Ballroom at Fontainbleau. Our "moves" were being instructed by the nude ladies dancing on the wall above us and to the left. They were good teachers, but Doc H wouldn't let us really get into the spirit of things and strip down. Such a party pooper. 


Next we went to Foquet's place -- Vaux-le-Vicomte. This was much more tame and actually seemed livable. I studied Foquet a little bit in French 202, but had no idea that we were touring his house until after half way through. I saw a picture and realized who it was. Pretty crazy. I think that aspect of this trip has made everything so much better. For so long, I have studied much of what I've been seeing these last few months and it's been amazing to be able to put size/scale/glory/brush strokes/construction style, etc all into it's rightful perspective. I'm not just looking at pictures or reading about these people/places in text books. I'm seeing them and really getting to experience everything they have to offer. It's been incredible. Anyway---this castle was definitely more my style. The decorators didn't throw everything they had into the rooms. Everything was beautiful and even elaborate, but nothing seemed like it was trying to outshine the others or "show off". To me Napoleon just seemed to want to show off and brag about his wealth. Foquet seemed to do MUCH less of that. Also interesting about this place, it has a rather significant connection to Leonardo DiCaprio!! Who would have thought?! So I tried to watch the movie Man in the Iron Mask a few times and always got super bored, but apparently it is some what of a true story and actually happened here at Vaux-le-Vicomte. From what I understood, we saw part of the "dungeon" where the actual mask wearer was kept. Sad for him, cool for us. Maybe one day, I'll have to give that storyline another go. I hear the movie is an adaptation of the book. Maybe I'll go for that instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment